Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Ring of Kerry

Well, today was the Ring of Kerry. It is simply a road that goes in a circle on a peninsula in the County of Kerry. We started out and it was a bit cool and windy. I was hoping that it would warm up and be a clear sunny day for the drive. God really blessed us. The first stop was actually for those who paid for the optional tour of Muckross House. It is supposed to be a beautiful home but I passed on that tour and instead was able to spend a little over an hour in the town of Kilarney. I just walked around. I finally got a chance to stop in at a post office and get some stamps to mail some postcards home. So hopefully I will get those written tonight so I can place them in the mail tomorrow morning. I can pretty much guarantee that I will beat them all home to the US. If they are there before me, I will be really surprised. We got back on the bus and went to pick up those on the tour. We then headed out on the Ring of Kerry. We made a few photographic stops on the ride around and Jim talked a lot. I listened but really a lot of it kind of just went in one ear and out the other. I was too busy looking out the window. It was really pretty. We stopped in the town of Waterville, which is where Charlie Chaplin lived for many years back when he was banned from working in Hollywood during the McCarthy era since he was accused of being a communist. The home he lived in is right by the water and is currently still owned by his daughter, although she does have it up for sale. The town was really pretty. We had a while here and I just decided to go down and sit by the water. It was really beautiful and you could smell the sea air. I love the feeling I get when I am near the water. The beach isn't a sand beach, it is really rocky. I took that time to catch up on my journal and grab a small bite to eat. We got back on the coach to finish up the drive. We did make one other stop at a scenic area. WOW!!! I can't wait till I get home and can post the photos. It was so pretty. We were up on the hill and the ocean was down the hill from where we were. I really don't think there are words that would do the beauty justice. When I see things like that, I can really see and feel God's presence in the beauty. We then headed back to the hotel. We have the evening free as dinner is not included. I was invited by a group to go with them for pizza. I am hoping it is better than most of the other food I have had so far. I will let you all know how Irish pizza is when I write again tomorrow. Miss you all and REALLY wishing you were here with me!

No comments: